Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What is the biggest issue facing blogging, citizenship and the future of media?

Blogging can be seen as a person’s point of view or opinion on a subject matter. It is great to learn about different perspectives by various people around the world. However, the biggest problem that I feel blogging creates is that of defamation to certain people that are talked about. I understand that people have the right to express themselves in various ways and the Internet shall be no exception. Nevertheless, every once in a while an individual comes along that chooses to cross the line between opinion and insult.

Citizenship has truly defined a country like Canada. As Canadians we can pride ourselves for our multiculturalism and our ability to work together with people from different backgrounds without any prejudice. My only problem with citizenship is that in some countries people are allowed to keep dual citizenship. I feel that this just gives people an avenue for easier access to a country. This not only takes away from the per capita income of the country and raises security issues as well.

The future of media, I feel, can be best exemplified by the new iTouch. We are continuously seeing more gadgets being introduced where an array of functions can be performed. The iPod, that started off as a simple music device. We have now come to the iTouch where the Internet, Radio, TV etc have all been encompassed into one sleek new gadget. I also feel that although this can be beneficial in many ways, it also creates a problem for me. I personally feel a little overwhelmed when I know I have access to that information. It takes away from my ability to socialize and network with individuals on an interpersonal level and replaces it with an electronic gadget.

No comments: